Top 30 Halloween Movies

 By Devese Ursery, Jeff Siler & Marcus McDaniel of The Forum

What do four zombie movies, six “slashers”, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, Mogwai’s, witches, birds, and weird stair people have in common? They’re all featured in the Forum Staff’s Top 30 Halloween-Themed Movies of all time! Forum writers Marcus, Devese, and Jeff recently sat down and had a discussion about the best films in the long history of the horror genre. With that discussion came a list of our take on the best Halloween-Themed Films of all time. 

-->
Before we get into the list, here are a few we had to leave out.

Honorable Mentions:

Young Frankenstein- “‘Young Frankenstein’ has always been one of my favorite films from this genre and my  favorite Mel Brooks film.” -Jeff

The Frighteners- “A Peter Jackson movie with cool special effects about Michael J. Fox talking to ghosts and running from ‘death.’ What’s not to like?” -Marcus

Black Christmas- “This is a flick that turns Christmas into Halloween. Gruesome with a twist, a must see.”-Devese

-->
Top 30:

30. Gremlins

29. The People Under The Stairs

28. Fright Night

27. Alien- “It wasn’t the physical appearance of the alien that scared me, but the suspense the movie built that made me wonder when and where the alien would attack. Plus an alien popped out of a guy’s chest! Epic.” -Marcus

26. American Werewolf in London

25. Sixth Sense

24. Shaun of the Dead- "The first 'zombie' movie to really make me laugh and I love the special f/x." -Jeff

23. Evil Dead

22. Carrie- "She killed her whole high school and made the line, 'They're all gonna laugh at you!' famous. Classic." -Devese

21. Scream

20. Nightmare on Elm Street

19. Bram Stoker’s Dracula

18.  Ghostbusters- “While it’s not a scary movie, what’s better than four guys catching ghosts and cracking jokes while doing it?” -Marcus  

17. Friday the 13th Part 2- "Jason's actual debut to the silver screen pumped fear into horny teenagers everywhere." -Devese

16. Texas Chainsaw Massacre- "The original backwoods, inbred family with a leather-faced, chainsaw weilding psychopath butchering young beauties for dinner. Even scarier since it's based on a true story." -Devese

15. Zombieland- “The perfect blend of horror, action, and comedy. This is my favorite zombie flick of all time.” -Marcus

14. Child’s Play- “I will fully admit that I was scared to death the first time I saw this film and I will always have a feeling that any doll I see could potentially murder me”. -Jeff

13. Pet Sematary- “That kid freaks me out and that cat scared the living ‘you know what’ out of me.” -Jeff

12. The Birds

11. The Shining

10.  Insidious- “For me, this is by far the scariest film I’ve seen put out in close to ten years.” -Jeff
 
9.    Halloween- “This film set the bar for the ‘slasher’ genre that has been dominating Horror for close to forty years now.” -Jeff

8.   
The Omen- “The operatic music alone would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end and those eyes of Damien were hypnotizing in an evil way.” -Devese

7.   
Psycho- “Hitchcock at his best and I will never quite get over the suspense built throughout this film.” -Jeff

6.   
Dawn of the Dead- “This is the first zombie movie to really focus on how people’s behavior can change when life goes bad and focused less on the zombies. And it had amazing special effects for its time.” -Marcus
 
5.   
The Thing (1982)- “The scariest ‘thing’ about this movie is the fact that you never really know who ‘the thing’ is.” -Marcus

4.   
Salem’s Lot- “To me, this movie was an eerie rendition of the New England town’s hostile past. The movie and the town epitomize Halloween.”- Devese

3.   
Amityville Horror- “What made this movie so scary to me was the that you could feel the evilness of the house. There was this house on my block, when I was younger that looked exactly like the Amityville house. I had to walk past it everyday going to and from school, it freaked me out.”-Devese

2.   
Poltergeist- “This movie made people everywhere afraid of static on their television and the phrase, ‘They’re here!’ Spooky.” -Marcus

1.   
The Exorcist- “This film did a number on me that I don’t think I will ever live down. I also don’t think I’ll ever watch it again because of that. -Jeff
                            
“Because of this movie, I get chills if someone even mentions ‘Ouija board!’ Don’t even fix your lips to say it!!” -Marcus
                               
“I still can’t watch this movie in a completely dark house. If you’re bad, try it and tell me how it worked out for you.” -Devese 

What are your favorite Halloween movies? Be sure to chime in with a comment.

Comments