Man in the Mirror

by Onyi Kokelu

   As a kid I always wanted to play sports, be in every group and just fit in. Back in those days, who didn’t want to be in the “in crowd,” and if you fast forward to your teenage and post teenage life it’s exactly the same. As a matter of fact, it’s even worse.
   You may read that last sentence and think you should always want to be yourself.
   The funny thing is the main people screaming about how they are so “out there”, how they look different, dress differently and act so differently in essence you are all the same. If you consistently have to let someone know how “real” you are or how “different” you are; maybe you keep repeating it because you are trying to convince yourself.
   Don’t let your words portray you because words are just words. Words without a backed up action are just like an empty promise.
   Don’t get me wrong there is power in words, but your actions speak louder. In the world we live in sometimes I don’t even pay attention to the words that people speak; just their actions. It seems like a lot of people are just all talk, and it gets even more confusing because a person may say or do anything. Even if it is something that is positive, I think we must all sit back and think what their intention was. So when you wake in the morning look at yourself in the mirror and say these things to yourself, “The best person I can be is me, and my actions let them be backed up by my meaningful words.” 

Comments