“Warm Bodies” Leaves a Less Than Warm Feeling

by Jeff Siler

When I first saw the trailer for “Warm Bodies” I instantly thought that it looked like an interesting take on the world of zombies; that feeling has since left me.

The film is set in a world where the zombie apocalypse has actually happened. There are two forms of Zombies: your traditional almost human looking version and a version that is made up of just bones or “Bonies”. The two forms of Zombies live together in an abandoned airport while the remaining humans live behind a giant wall. Both the humans and zombies only leave their respective areas for hunting purposes-- the humans to eliminate zombies and zombies in search of their food source. That is where our main characters of R (Nicholas Hoult) and Julie (Teresa Palmer) meet each other, as R saves Julie from certain elimination. The odd part about this whole ordeal is the fact that R is a zombie. As time goes, on R and Julie become more and more attached and their relationship starts affecting the other zombies, well all but the Bonies. With their relationship the oddest thing happens: the zombies start to feel things again and they eventually get to a point where they actually have a heartbeat and can speak clearly. This doesn’t bode well for the humans or that half of the zombies when the Bonies go on an all out attack to stop this process. I’m not going to go into the film all that much more, just in case you actually want to see after reading the rest of this review.

This film is not very good at all. The storyline has plot holes all the way through it. I’ve always been a huge fan of zombies and this film is completely in accurate from everything I’ve even seen or read on zombies. Zombies don’t run, zombies can’t drive cars, zombies can’t heal themselves, zombie can’t talk, and zombies most certainly can’t fall in love because they are not alive and can’t feel a thing. I can honestly say that I don’t hate romantic films and this one didn’t even impress me in that regard. I jokingly said before the film that this movie is going to be “Twilight with zombies”, but walking out I took that statement back because “Twilight” was better than this horrible film.

Rob Corrdry and Analeigh Tipton’s characters were the only entertaining parts of the film for me. I also felt like they could have used John Malkovich’s character a lot more and in a lot better of ways because the way his character is set up is kind of dull. I’d seen Teresa Palmer in one or two films before and was actually looking forward to her role in this film, but she was just another let down for me. I’d never heard of Nicholas Hoult before this and I won’t be looking forward to seeing him again.

I don’t know if you picked on the fact that I did not care for this movies in the slightest bit. I do not recommend spending, no wasting, money on seeing “Warm Bodies”. It’s really not even that great of a “date movie”. If a “Date Movie” is what you want then go see “Silver Linings Playbook” and if you want a  “Zombie Movie” then you won’t have to wait long as “The Evil Dead” remake comes out next month and “World War Z” comes out later this year.



Comments