Like Father, Like Son

By Tommy Schall 

The St. Louis Community College Archers men's soccer team has had a rough start to the 2013 season. The Archers are 0-4-1 on the season but that surely won't keep the team down. The Archers have an infusion of freshman and sophomores on the squad this season, which will help them compete. One such sophomore is forward Culan O'Keefe who is building off a strong freshman season. Culan's father is Archers head coach Dan O'Keefe. Culan had this to say about his father being his head coach.

“Most people assume it means I get better treatment, but it actually means I get to hear about my mistakes on the field and at home," said Culan. "I think it's a good thing though because he always tells me what I need to work on.”

Culan O'Keefe had a strong freshman, season scoring eight goals last season.“My first year was very new to me. The game was a lot more intense and physical, so this year I think I was more prepared for it.” Expectations are high for the Archers this season and the teams early woes should subside. “[We're] not starting off this year the way we wanted, but we can tell that we are starting to understand what to do to score. We are much more skilled than last year so we should be okay,” he added.

Culan went even as far as to say this about the Archers in 2013: “I honestly think we could make a run in the playoffs/regionals. We just need to learn to work with each other. And I hope to score some goals too.” O'Keefe has been playing the game since a very young age. “I started at a young age. Probably kindergarten. My dad taught me and I've been with it ever since.”

Culan enjoyed high success at the high school level as well. “High school soccer was good. I scored a total of 45 goals in high school. The teams I played on [McCluer/McCluer North] weren't too successful but it was a lot of fun,” he said. Culan and the Archers should enjoy a fine bounce back to the young season.

Culan enjoys playing guitar in his pop-punk band Seven Eighteen as well. He seems to have a game plan for the near future but besides that he's uncertain. "I plan to get a degree in criminal justice and possibly attend law school. "Other than that, I'm not too sure what I wanna do career wise. And of course, I want to play music for the rest of my life.” Whatever Culan O'Keefe decides to do in the future, he should be a success.

Comments